All The Essential Details You Require
To download the adidas Auckland KIDS MARATHON Entry Form click here.
To search for an entrant click here.
What is the KIDS MARATHON?
KIDS MARATHON can be an 8 week, 10 week or 12 week training programme that enables all kids at primary school, age 7 and over and intermediate school kids to complete a full marathon (42.195 kilometres) by running between approximately 3 to 5 kilometres per week depending on the training programme.
By doing so, kids develop life-long fitness skills, social emotional learning, the tremendous feeling of accomplishment and confidence for themselves, without the high risk involved with young kids running a full marathon in one day.
The programme is completed in grand fashion as each kid is able to finish the final 2.195 kilometres of the marathon distance in front of thousands of cheering fans, friends and family through the finish line of the adidas Auckland Marathon on 3 November 2013. Thanks to Auckland Council's support this programme is now available to all kids of this age group.
Who participates in KIDS MARATHON?
KIDS MARATHON was embraced by 31 Auckland schools, and over 1350 participants in 2012. All kids at primary school, age 7 and over and intermediate school kids are welcome to participate and benefit from this life changing programme. Because the goal of the programme is to 'FINISH', kids of all levels of ability can participate and be successful.
Why KIDS MARATHON?
There are many and well documented problems in New Zealand and countries around the world related to lack of physical activity and failure to adhere to general healthy living habits. KIDS MARATHON offers a simple yet rewarding solution to many of these problems plaguing youth today.
- The evidence is in the children. Nationally, obesity rates have nearly quintupled among 6 to 11 year olds and tripled among teens and children aged 2 to 5 since the 1970's. The future medical consequences of obesity in New Zealand - heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, even orthopaedic problems are predicted by some commentators to cripple the health industry.
- KIDS MARATHON specifically targets all kids at primary school, age 7 and over and intermediate school kids, with a programme that includes activities proven to reduce the risk of childhood obesity. It is the intention of KIDS MARATHON at some stage in the future to hopefully partner with expert professionals in Nutrition Education and Behavioural Nutrition, Children's Exercise, Dermatology, Paediatrics, Cardiologists, psychology and other child health related specialists.
- Many kids do not participate in physical activity because of competition for leisure time. Activities such as television and video games have replaced time that used to be spent playing outdoors.
- By partnering with large events and drawing upon strong connections in the elite sports world, we are able to once again get kids excited about physical activity.
How is the programme facilitated?
Kids can enter either individually via the web site www.aucklandmarathon.co.nz or via their participating school (Kids/Parents will need to ask their school if it is part of the programme).
Once the programme begins at a school, kids will meet 3, 4 or 5 times per week (depending on the training programme) for a group exercise session supervised by their teacher-coach / supervisor. On an average day kids will participate in a proper warm-up, complete the required distance* by running or walking between 1 – 2 kilometers per session, participate in running drills and games and participate in a cool-down activity.
Kids are encouraged to involve their parent(s) by running from home or a nearby park at least once per week.
* The required running/ walking distances per session are outlined in their training guides. Each day has a box with a distance to be covered where a signature can be placed to signify the completion of each requirement.
How does this programme change lives?
Many running events have joined the kid's fitness movement and are now including youth races and fun runs as part of the day’s festivities. Unfortunately some of these one day events often fall short in creating a lifestyle of healthy habits and physical activity in the lives of their participants.
On the other hand, KIDS MARATHON helps to develop a new way of life for kids, where they learn new social skills that empower them with Emotional learning, Knowledge and Character building necessary to succeed in this task. KIDS MARATHON will help with the Physical, Mental, Spiritual and Emotional development for the 'Long Run of Life.'
Key Facts of Programme
- 8, 10 or 12 week programme
- Programmes should start w/c 12th, 26th August or 9th September 2013
- 3-4 km per week for 12 weeks
- 4 km per week for 10 weeks
- 5 km per week for 8 weeks
- 1-2 kms per session
- Final 2.195 kms completed on race day of adidas Auckland Marathon
- Finish through main finish gantry on Fanshawe St of adidas Auckland Marathon
- Entries cost $25.00 per child (please note entry fee is non refundable and non transferable)
- Entries are to be completed through the online entry process at www.aucklandmarathon.co.nz or via their participating school
- Each entrant receives their own race number for race day
- Each entrant receives a timing chip to record their time Please note: The timing chip is loaned to you to allow the timing provider to time you and provide your result to you. You must tie it to your shoe laces as shown below before you start and wear it on your shoe throughout the race and over the finish line.
- Tentative start time for race day on 3 November is 10.45am in Beaumont St Auckland City
- Finish area only approx 600m from start area enabling parents to be at both
- Each entrant, upon completion of the final 2.195km on race day, will receive a KIDS MARATHON finishers medal
Note: When you finish the race you must remove the timing chip from your shoe and place it in the collection bags at the end of the finish chute. It is your responsibility to return the timing chip via the collection bags in the finish chute before leaving the finish area. All non-returned chips will be charged to you at $25.00 incl GST each.
If you do not finish the event, please ensure you return the timing chip to the Timing Chip Collection officials at the end of the finish chute or mail it back to us as soon as possible to Timing Sports - Tag Return, P O Box 301431, Albany 0752, Auckland.
IMPORTANT: All non-returned chips will be charged to you at $25.00 incl GST each.
- KIDS MARATHON Information Sheet
- KIDS MARATHON School Team Entry Information
- KIDS MARATHON Entry Form
- KIDS MARATHON School Team Manager Instruction Sheet
- KIDS MARATHON Training Plan
KIDS MARATHON Event Information (final 2.195km)
Additional Race Information
- For the 7 -9 year old start one parent can run with their child (only one entry fee)
- For the 10 – 13 year old start parents are not permitted to run with their kids
- Each child finisher will receive a medal on completion of the course
- Each child finisher will have access to a free downloadable online certificate with their time recorded or can purchase a printed A4 card certificate when entering
- Parents can walk a short distance of approximately 600m by footpath from the start of the event to the finish area in approximately 5 minutes.
KIDS MARATHON Race Pack Collection
All KIDS MARATHON participants must collect their Race Packs and Race Number from the Registration Expo at 161 Halsey Street, Auckland City (Viaduct Event Centre) between the following hours:
- Thursday 31 October 12:00pm to 7:00pm
- Friday 1 November 10:00am to 7:00pm
- Saturday 2 November 10:00am to 5:30pm
Note: The KIDS MARATHON event will be timed therefore KIDS MARATHON participants will receive a loaned timing chip with their race packs that must be returned.