Frequently Asked Questions
All The Essential Details You Require
This section contains questions that have been asked via email or phone that may be useful for others.
- What is the distance of the Marathon, Half Marathon and Quarter Marathon?
- Is the course closed to traffic?
- Can you describe the Marathon and Half Marathon course?
- What is the distance from the start in Devonport to the Bridge?
- Will there be Pace runners and what are the times they will run?
- Is the course open to Wheelchairs, Cycles, Roller Blades, Prams/Buggies, Skate-Boards, Walking Sticks?
- When do I get my T-Shirt?
- Can I transfer between events (for example, from the Marathon to Half Marathon) or transfer my entry to someone else?
- How do I complete the transfer process?
- Can I take a baby buggy with me on the course?
- How do I get to the Marathon and Half Marathon start line?
- Where do I buy ferry or bus tickets from?
- Can I purchase ferry tickets from Fullers for the pre-race sailing to Devonport?
- Can I use my ferry ticket wristband to get back to Devonport after the event?
- What does the Supporters Ferry Ticket consist of?
- I live on the North Shore and don't want to drive into the City to catch the ferry. How else can I get to the Marathon/Half Marathon start?
- Is there any form of public or organised transport into downtown Auckland City for the Quarter Marathon start?
- What types of drinks will be provided at the support stations?
- Do I wear my number on the back or front?
- What is the timing chip for? And where do I wear it?
- Where do I hand the timing chip back?
- Can I check that my IPICO timing chip is working?
- Where can I leave my clothes?
- How do I find out my finish time?
- What do I do with my timing chip if I don't finish the race?
- Where do I go at the finish venue if I need help?
- Where do I find out about training advice for the event?
- Where are the Support Stations on the course?
- Who receives finishers medals?
- Can I use an iPod/mp3 player while participating in my event?
- Is there a time limit or cut off time for any of the Auckland Marathon events?
- If I am a walker, what times should I be aiming for to reach key support stations?
The Marathon distance is 42.195km (26m385y)
The Half Marathon distance is 21.09km.
The Quarter Marathon is 10.55km.
No, the course is not closed to traffic, and all participants must obey the rules of the road at all times and treat all roads as open.
The first 13km is undulating (not too steep) - the Auckland Harbour Bridge is a very steady climb of approximately 1km with the balance of the course being flat (see Course Information & Maps).
PACE TEAM LEADERS
Yes, there will be Pace Team Leaders for participants wanting to run a specific time.
Each Pace Team Leader will be wearing a helium balloon and a Pace time on the back of their t-shirts. There will be one person running as a Pace Team Leader targeting the following Pace Times:
Pace Team Leaders
Please note times depend on Pace Team Leader availability.
Q. Is the course open to Wheelchairs, Cycles, Roller Blades, Prams/Buggies, Skate-Boards, Walking Sticks?
After careful consideration and in consultation with local authorities, due to considerable safety and logistical concerns on the course, all forms of wheeled conveyance including but not limited to wheelchairs, cycles, roller blades, prams/buggies, skate-boards etc are not permitted to enter or participate in the event.
For safety reasons alpine walking sticks or other forms of walking sticks (e.g. crutches) are also not permitted on the course.
- Click here for the Paralympics NZ endorsement letter
Single baby buggies only (not double or triple) will be allowed in the 5km Walk Event ONLY. The occupant of the baby buggy cannot walk in the event and will not be charged an entry fee.
Additionally, no dogs/pets/animals or non-registered persons will be allowed to accompany participants in the event.
ASICS event T-Shirts will be distributed with your Race Pack at Registration prior to the event to all entrants in the Marathon, Half Marathon and Quarter Marathon events. Entrants in the Heart Foundation 5km Challenge and KIDS MARATHON will not receive a T-Shirt.
Please ensure you identify your correct T-Shirt size on the entry form (due to T-Shirts being printed to order, a change of size once ordered, will not be possible). The T-Shirts are designed to be a smaller fit for the technology fabric to work effectively, if you prefer a looser or longer fitting t-shirt then select the next size up to what you would normally wear. Please note: If you were a size XL verging on XXL in 2013 then order XXL and if you were a size 16 verging on 18 in 2013 then order 18.
Please note: T-shirt sizes cannot be swapped or changed at Registration.
Q. Can I transfer between events (for example, from the Marathon to Half Marathon) or transfer my entry to someone else?
Entry Transfer Policy
Participants can formally transfer their entry to someone else within the same event already entered, or up to the Full Marathon up until 5.00pm Saturday 1 November 2014 (Online up to 5pm 27 October and thereafter at Registration & Expo only).
Entries may be formally transferred upon the payment of a single $25.00 transfer fee. Entries transferred without permission of the Organisers will be invalid and will lead to disqualification.
Important Transfer Notes:
The general transfer rules for entries in the Marathon, Half Marathon and Quarter Marathon are outlined below for 2014.
Transfers at any time:
• Transfers between people within the same event can take place up until 5.00pm Saturday 1 November 2014 (Online up to 5pm 27 October and thereafter at Registration & Expo only).
• The difference in entry fees will not be refunded for those changing down in distance to a shorter event (if applicable).
• The difference in entry fee will be payable by those changing up in distance to a longer event.
• All transport tickets, text messages & printed certificates are non transferable and non refundable. The person purchasing the transfered entry must purchase new transport tickets at the time of the online transfer.
• The person purchasing the transferred entry can choose their own T-Shirt size & gender at the time of online transfer.
Note: All transfers from the Marathon down (or 5km Challenge up) to the Half Marathon or Quarter Marathon will cease immediately once these fields have closed i.e. Marathon entrants cannot transfer down to the Half Marathon once entries have closed for that event or down to the Quarter Marathon once entries have closed for that event. Half Marathon entrants can not transfer down to the Quarter Marathon once entries have closed for that event.
Now that entries have closed for the Half Marathon and Quarter Marathon events:
• You can transfer your entry to someone else within the same event you have already entered, or up to the Full Marathon up until 5.00pm Saturday 1 November 2014 (Online up to 5pm 27 October and thereafter at Registration & Expo only).
• If you hold a Full Marathon entry you cannot transfer down to the Half Marathon event or the Quarter Marathon event.
• If you hold a Half Marathon entry you can transfer up to the Marathon event but not down to the Quarter Marathon event.
• If you hold a Quarter Marathon you cannot transfer up to the Half Marathon event but you can transfer up to the Full Marathon event.
• If you hold a 5km Challenge entry cannot transfer up to the Quarter Marathon or Half Marathon events but you can to the Full Marathon event.
• All transport tickets, text messages & printed certificates are non transferable and non refundable therefore you must purchase any new transport tickets you require at the time of your online transfer.
• You can choose your own T-Shirt size & gender at the time of your online transfer.
Please click here for the transfer process details
Not on the Marathon, Half Marathon, or Quarter Marathon courses; unfortunately with the numbers we have in the event and the requirements of the relevant authorities no buggies, pushchairs, cycles, dogs/pets or any form of wheeled conveyance will be allowed.
Single baby buggies only (not double or triple) will be allowed in the 5km Walk (not Run) Event ONLY. The occupant of the baby buggy cannot walk in the event and will not be charged an entry fee. Wheelchairs, baby buggies (subject to above), dogs and cyclists are NOT PERMITTED in any of the events.
No dogs/pets, baby buggies (subject to above), cyclists or non-registered persons will be allowed to accompany participants in the race.
Chartered Ferry Service to the Start
The recommended way is to park on the Auckland City side, purchase a $8.00 one-way ferry ticket and catch the ferry to the start line. Ferry tickets MUST be purchased when completing your online entry/paper entry form. Return Supporters Tickets are also available and can be purchased for $16.00. These tickets include a one-way wristband to take the supporter to Devonport and a standard one-way ticket to return the supporter from Devonport back to Auckland City on a 7.00am (sharp) chartered sailing after the start. New ferry services from Bayswater and Birkenhead will be provided to participants and supporters.
Please note: there are toilets available on the ferries.
Auckland Marathon Ferry Schedule 2014
Fullers has based this year's schedule around being able to move approx 7,000 participants to Devonport by 6:45am and has released the following schedule. Note: the vessel used and the actual departure time may vary from the following.
Additional Service (Proposed Schedule)
Depart Birkenhead | Vessel
Starflyte (Marathon participants must take this Birkenhead sailing to arrive in time)
Additional Service (Proposed Schedule)
Depart Bayswater | Vessel
Starflyte (Marathon participants must take this Birkenhead sailing to arrive in time)
Note: You cannot book a particular ferry sailing time - you just need to turn up to the ferry sailing of your choice outlined above. Note that it is important to arrive as early as possible to 5:00am or before (Marathon participants please see important note below for your suggested sailings) if you are planning to travel by ferry. Ferries will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We strongly advise all Marathon participants to take the earliest ferries prior to 5.00am (or take the 5.00am Birkenhead sailing) to ensure you arrive for your start time of 6.00am. We strongly advise all Half Marathon participants to take the earliest ferries prior to 6.00am (or take the 5.55am Birkenhead sailing) to ensure you arrive for your start time of 6.50am. It is your responsibility to arrive at the start with plenty of time to prepare for your event.
For those participants wishing to park near the start in Devonport, ferries will be available to take you back after the event from the ferry terminal. To utilize this post event Fullers service you will need to purchase a standard Fullers ferry ticket directly from Fullers.
Ferry and North Shore bus tickets MUST be purchased when completing your online entry/paper entry form. Ferry tickets are limited to approx 7,000 passengers travelling from Auckland City across to Devonport and will be sold on a first come first served basis. Return Ferry Supporters tickets are also available for purchase online or by paper entry as well.
Ferry and Bus tickets will be available for purchase at the Registration & Expo ONLY if stocks are not sold out prior. Ferry and Bus tickets will not be available for purchase on event day.
Please note: Ferry and Bus tickets are non-refundable so please choose carefully.
No. The pre-race ferry sailings to Devonport are a chartered service therefore standard Fullers ferry tickets are not valid. You must purchase your ferry ticket when completing your online entry/paper entry form. Only your unique charter ticket (wristband) will allow you access onto the pre-race ferries on event day.
Please Note: Due to these Ferry sailings being a chartered service and the need to ensure boarding is as efficient as possible, a different ticket system (wristband) is being used for these sailings. Because of this and the pressure to process up to 7,000 people onto the Ferries in a limited time NO OTHER FULLERS ISSUED TICKETS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR THESE SAILINGS.
No. Your unique charter ticket (wristband) cannot be used on standard Fullers Ferry services after the event. They are only valid for the event day PRE-RACE sailings to get runners and their support to Devonport. You cannot return to Devonport with this wristband ticket after the event, you will need to purchase a standard Fullers ticket from Fullers for this purpose.
Participants can purchase ferry tickets for their supporters when completing their online/paper entry form. The supporter receives a wrist band to take them on the pre-race sailing from Auckland City to Devonport, and a standard ticket for each supporter to return back to Auckland City after the start. The return ferry will leave on a 7.00am (sharp) chartered sailing after the start back to Auckland City.
Q. I live on the North Shore and don’t want to drive into the City to catch the ferry. How else can I get to the Marathon/Half Marathon start?
Bus Tickets & Schedule
Ritchies has established a bus service for the North Shore to the Marathon and Half Marathon start utilising the 'Park and Ride' facilities at Albany and Constellation Drive, and at a designated point in Takapuna.
Ticket costs and departure locations are detailed below. Tickets MUST be purchased when completing your online entry/paper entry form.
Albany to Devonport
Constellation to Devonport
Takapuna to Devonport
$10.00 one way
$9.00 one way
$8.00 one way
|*Takapuna Return trip returns to Akoranga & Smales Farm Stations. Transfer is then required to Takapuna Shops (no charge).|
Bus Departures (Proposed times only)
Constellation Park & Ride
You cannot book a particular bus departure time - you just need to turn up to one of the departure locations outlined below. Buses will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We strongly advise all Marathon participants take the earliest buses i.e. 4.50am Albany, 4.55am Constellation, 5.05am Takapuna, to ensure you arrive for your earlier start time of 6.00am. It is your responsibility to arrive at the start with plenty of time to prepare for your event.
From Victoria Park back to Bus Stations:
Bus departures back to Albany and Constellation Park & Ride Stations will depart with a 15 minute frequency on the Northern Express from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Buses departing Britomart 8.00, 8.15, 8.30 etc should take approximately 2-3 minutes to arrive at the bus stop outside Victoria Park Market on Victoria Street.
There is public transport to the new start in Northcote for 2014 from 7.00am on Sunday 2 November. Parking details will also be updated in due course. Please note the new start time for the Quarter Marathon this year is 9.05am and will now be running over the Harbour Bridge.
Water, Powerade Isotonic (and flat Coca Cola on Marathon course only).
Your Race Number must be worn on the front of your singlet/shirt and be visible at all times. Failure to do so will result in disqualification or you being removed from the course during the event.
Please remember to complete the section on the back of your race number with your name, any medical conditions and importantly a contact name and phone number (other than your own) in case of emergency.
The IPICO timing chip is loaned to you to allow the timing provider to time you and provide your result to you. You must tie it to your shoe laces as shown below before you start and wear it on your shoe throughout the race and over the finish line. Please ensure you run over (and not beside) the timing mats at the start, on the course and the finish to give the technology the best chance of capturing your times. You must return your timing chip at the end of the finish chute (see next FAQ).
Note: The KIDS MARATHON event will be timed this year therefore KIDS MARATHON participants will receive a timing chip with their race packs and it must be returned after the event (see next FAQ).
When you finish the race you must remove the timing chip from your shoe and place it in the collection bags at the end of the finish chute. It is your responsibility to return the timing chip via the collection bags in the finish chute before leaving the finish area. All non-returned chips will be charged to you at $25.00 incl GST each.
If you do not finish the event, please ensure you return the timing chip to the Timing Chip Collection officials at the end of the finish chute or mail it back to us as soon as possible at Timing Sports - Tag Return, P O Box 301431, Albany 0752, Auckland.
Please note: All non-returned chips will be charged to you at $25.00 incl GST each
There is a facility (Chip Check) at the Registration & Expo where you collect your race items to check your timing chip.
At Race Headquarters, you will be supplied with a Race Pack Gear Bag and bag tag (please ensure your bag tag is marked with your race number and name with a pen). This bag is for you to leave any surplus gear that you have at the start (Marathon, Half Marathon & Quarter Marathon). This will then be transported to the finish for collection, once you have completed your event. Only this gear bag will be accepted for storage.
Gear Trucks will be provided by Courier Post for Marathon, Half Marathon & Quarter Marathon participants, to leave excess clothing in the supplied gear bag, at the start. Please place your gear bag in the Cage with the number range that corresponds to your Race Number. All clothing is to be placed in the Gear Bag provided at Registration (NOT A SPORTS BAG) and clearly marked with your Race Number and name on the bag tag. Gear bags can be collected from the Gear Trucks located next to the Motorway Flyover at the finish venue, Victoria Park.
A Gear Bag facility is provided for the Heart Foundation 5km Challenge & KIDS MARATHON at the northern end of Victoria Park by the Victoria Park flyover bridge. You can leave your gear bag there prior to your race and collect it after you finish (please ensure your bag tag is marked with your race number and name with a pen).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Any gear placed in a bag other than the Gear Bag provided will not be accepted, and will be the responsibility of the participant to get to the finish.
The full provisional results will be posted to the official web site by 7:00pm on race night www.aucklandmarathon.co.nz
If you do not finish the event, return the timing chip to the Timing Chip Collection officials at the end of the finish chute or mail it back to us as soon as possible at Timing Sports - Tag Return, P O Box 301431, Albany 0752, Auckland.
Please note: It is your responsibility to return your timing chip to the race organisers. All non-returned timing chips will be charged to you at $25.00 incl GST each.
There will be a clearly marked information tent located in a prominent position at Victoria Park that will be staffed to assist participants on completion of their event. See web page 'Event Village Setup' for indicative tent position (Map available Mid October).
Order of St John ambulances will be located at regular points along the route and each Support Station will provide minor first aid facilities if required. A full medical clinic will be at the finish. In the event of a medical emergency, dial 111 from the nearest phone and the closest ambulance will be sent to your aid.
If you have a medical condition that could cause you difficulties during or after the race, please first get clearance from your doctor to participate in your event.
Please complete the section on the back of your race number with your name, any medical conditions and importantly a contact name and phone number (other than your own) in case of emergency.
For your safety, it is advised that you do not participate in the event if you have had a fever or cold in the past week, or have a hangover, as these can contribute towards heat exhaustion, dehydration, or life threatening heatstroke.
Refer to the pages on the web site under the heading 'Are You Ready?' for all your training advice, programmes, lead up events, nutritional and hydration needs. Training programmes are also available for sale on our 'Official Merchandise' page.
There are 7 Support Stations, including the one at the Start for the Half Marathon and at the Finish and 13 for the Full Marathon. Each Support Station will include a minimum of water, Portaloos and minor first aid support.
2014 Course Details
The street locations of the Support Stations are as follows:
Marathon / Half Marathon
- Marathon & Half Marathon Start venue – Devonport (water only)
- 4km Winscombe St (will also include Powerade)
- 8km Taharoto Rd (will also include Powerade)
- 11km Akoranga Bus Station, Northcote (will also include Powerade)
- 16km Curran Street (will also include Powerade)
- 19km Hamer Street (will also include Powerade)
- 22km Quay Street between Tinley Street & Plumey Streets (will also include Powerade, Coke)
- 26km Tamaki Drive, Okahu Bay (will also include Powerade, Coke)
- 29km Tamaki Drive, Mission Bay (will also include Powerade, Coke)
- 32km Tamaki Drive, Mission Bay (will also include Powerade, Coke)
- 35km Tamaki Drive, Okahu Bay (will also include Powerade, Coke)
- 39km Quay Street between Tinley Street & Plumer Streets (will also include Powerade, Coke)
- Finish Venue, Victoria Park, Auckland City. (Powerade, Bananas)
Only Marathon event finishers receive an official Auckland Marathon finisher's medal. KIDS MARATHON event finishers receive a KIDS MARATHON finisher's medal.
All finishers will be able to download their own online certificate after 9:00pm Sunday 2 November 2014 at no cost. If you wish to receive a printed A4 card certificate by mail, an additional $7.50 fee is payable with your entry fee. The certificate will be posted within 3 weeks of the event in a standard envelope. Please note that any damage to the certificate caused by the postal service is not the responsibility of the Event Organisers.
In the interest of providing a safe and enjoyable event experience for all participants, the use of ipods/mp3 players is discouraged.
Yes, there are time restrictions in place for the Marathon & Half Marathon events as outlined below:
It is a requirement that the Auckland Harbour Bridge be fully open for traffic from 10:30am. This means that participants reaching the 9km mark at Smales Farm Bus Station after 8:15am will not be permitted to continue along the busway. Transport will be available at this point for those not making this cut-off time to transport them at 8.20am to Akoranga Bus Station or 8.35am to the Onewa Rd on-ramp by 8.40am where they will disembark to continue the event across the Harbour Bridge.
Any participant still on the Auckland Harbour Bridge at 9:50am will be transported across the bridge to Sarsfield Street to continue the event.
Due to the expected congestion in down-town Auckland a finish cut-off time of 1:00pm is imposed. All First Aid support and Support Stations will progressively close along the course until 1:00pm.
Please Note from 1pm the finish line and finish gantry will be disassembled and therefore finish times and results will not be recorded.
Walkers time splits at key Support Stations
Half Marathon Walkers wishing to ensure they make the Bridge by cut-off time should have cleared the following support stations by the following times:
- Winscombe St Support Station (4km) - 07.17am
- Taharoto Rd Support Station (8.3km) - 08.04.am
- Smales Farm Bus Station (9km) - 08.15am
Marathon Walkers wishing to ensure they the make the finish line by course closure time should have cleared the following support stations by the following times:
- Mission Bay Support Station (33km) - 11.15am
- Okahu Bay Support Station (36km) - 11.45am
- Britomart Support Station (38km) - 12.04pm
Quarter Marathon participants wishing to ensure they the make the Bridge by cut-off time should have cleared the following point by the following time:
- Onewa Road Southbound on-ramp (2km) - 9.25am
other official merchandise
runners to get help and
support with your training