All The Essential Details You Require
Online entries available early April for 2014. To check out dates for our official lead up series go to www.runwalk.co.nz
To search for an entrant click here.
Events & Distances
The adidas Auckland Marathon offers a range of distances to suit all ages and abilities. The following events are available to enter in 2013: Marathon, Half Marathon, Quarter Marathon, 5km Challenge, KIDS MARATHON.
Proposed start times for the adidas Auckland Marathon:
Proposed Start Times
King Edward Parade, Devonport
King Edward Parade, Devonport
Gaunt St, Auckland City
Sarsfield St, Auckland City
Beaumont St, Auckland City
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is the responsibility of the participant to know the correct start time for their chosen event.
Marathon, Half Marathon & Quarter Marathon
The Marathon, Half Marathon & Quarter Marathon can be entered either as a run or a walk.
For further information regarding walkers in the Marathon or Half Marathon events please see the Policy on Walkers section on the Race & Safety Information page.
Please note when entering that the Quarter Marathon does not distinguish walkers from runners like that of the Marathon and Half Marathon events i.e. you do not need to specify whether you are walking or running on the entry form. For safety reasons all walkers should start at the back of the field behind the runners.
Heart Foundation 5km Challenge
The Heart Foundation 5km Challenge can be either as a run or a walk. Single baby buggies only (not double or triple) will be allowed in the 5km Walk Event ONLY. The occupant of the baby buggy cannot walk in the event and will not be charged an entry fee. Wheelchairs, baby buggies (subject to above), dogs/pets, cyclists and any other form of wheeled conveyance are NOT PERMITTED in any of the events.
For safety reasons alpine walking sticks or other forms of walking sticks (e.g. crutches) are also not permitted on the course.
The KIDS MARATHON is an exciting initiative in its fourth year in the adidas Auckland Marathon. For all KIDS MARATHON information click here.
The following minimum age restrictions are in place:
- Age 7 - KIDS MARATHON
- Age 10 - Heart Foundation 5km Challenge Walk
- Age 13 - Heart Foundation 5km Challenge Run
- Age 14 - Quarter Marathon
- Age 16 - Half Marathon
- Age 18 - Marathon
Ages are calculated as at race day.
Note: All entrants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (with the exception of KIDS MARATHON) for the entire duration of the event and the accompanying adult takes full responsibility for the safety of the entrant under 16.
All participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. This refers to participants of age or above the restricted age per event but under 16 (except for the KIDS MARATHON) e.g. 10 year olds – 15 year olds in the 5km walk, 13 year olds – 15 year olds in the 5km run, etc.
Entry fees for any of the adidas Auckland Marathon events will be processed by 'Auckland Marathon' and an item will appear to this effect on your credit card statement. You will need a credit card to enter online. Alternatively you can post a hard copy of the entry form (which is downloadable from the web site from June) along with a cheque. Please do not send cash.
2013 Entry Fees are as follows:
Entry Fee (NZ Dollars) includes GST
Half Marathon Fee
Quarter Marathon Fee
|Early Entry Fee (Received by 5:00pm 18 September 2013) - Post / Fax||$144||$106||$60||$40||$25|
|Late Entry Fee* (Received by 5:00pm 28 October 2013) - Post / Fax
(unless sold out prior)
|Registration Venue Entry Fee* (Received by 5:30pm 2 November 2013)
(unless sold out prior)
*The Late Entry Fee and Registration Venue Entry Fee are only available if the entry limit for a particular event has not yet been reached. If the entry limit has been reached and the event entries closed then no late entries are accepted (see Late Entry information below)
- Early entries close on 18 September 2013, or as soon as the entry limit has been reached.
- If the entry limit has not been reached, late entries will be accepted online and by post until 5pm, 28 October 2013.
- Registration venue entries will be accepted (if the entry limit has not been reached) up to 5:30pm Saturday 2 November 2013.
Entry Fees are non-refundable after 5:00pm 17 September 2014. Prior to this date, $25 of the entry fee will be retained to cover administration and handling costs for each withdrawal. Entries can only be withdrawn if notice is received in writing up to 5:00pm 17 September 2014. Letters of withdrawal should be addressed to Entry Withdrawals - adidas Auckland Marathon, M129, Private Bag 300987, Albany, Auckland, New Zealand or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all KIDS MARATHON entries are non refundable.
Marathon / Half Marathon
- Due to safety constraints at the start and finish, on the course and on the Auckland Harbour Bridge, a total limit of 11,250 participants is imposed for both the Marathon and the Half Marathon events.
- Within this total limit is also a restriction to a maximum of 7,500 Half Marathon participants. This allows for a minimum of 3,750 Marathon participants.
- If there are more than 3,750 Marathon participants before the overall limit is reached then the number of Half Marathon participants will be less pro-rata i.e. 4,250 Marathon participants will mean 7,000 Half Marathon participants.
- If the 7,500 Half Marathon participant limit is reached then the Half Marathon entries will close. In this case, Marathon entries will remain open until the 3,750 Marathon participant limit is reached at which time the Marathon entries will close.
- Please ensure you enter early to avoid disappointment. Entries will be accepted on a first come, first served basis, and any entries received after the limit is reached for any particular event will be returned with their payment. There is no wait list.
Quarter Marathon/5km Challenge/KIDS MARATHON
The Quarter Marathon, 5km Challenge and KIDS MARATHON do not have an entry limit.
Participants can formally transfer between events (subject to policy below) or transfer their entry to someone else up until 5.30pm Saturday 1 November 2014.
Entries may be formally transferred upon the payment of a single $25.00 transfer fee. Entries transferred without permission of the Organisers will be invalid and will lead to disqualification.
Important Transfer Notes:
The transfer rules for entries in the Marathon and Half Marathon are outlined below for 2014.
Transfers at any time:
- Transfers between people within the same event can take place up until 5.30pm Saturday 1 November 2014
- The difference in entry fees will not be refunded for those changing down in distance to a shorter event.
- The difference in entry fee will be payable by those changing up in distance to a longer event.
Once entries have closed for either event:
- If you hold a Marathon entry you cannot transfer down to the Half Marathon event.
- If you hold a Half Marathon entry you can transfer up to the Marathon event.
- If you hold a Quarter Marathon or 5km Challenge entry, you can transfer between these two events but not up to the Half Marathon or Marathon.
Please note: Due to T-Shirts being printed to order transfers will not include a change of T-Shirt i.e. you will receive the T-Shirt selected in the original entry.
Subject to the transfer policy outlined above, the following transfer process applies:
How to transfer your entry to someone else prior to 5pm Wednesday 23 October 2013:
- The person receiving the transferred entry (taking up the new entry) needs to download a hard copy of the entry form from here and complete the entry form in full.
- Mark clearly on the top of the form that it is an ENTRY TRANSFER.
- Include credit card details on the entry form for the $25.00 transfer fee.
- Attach the entry form to the original entrant's e-ticket and email/post/fax through to the Event Organisers.
- The new entrant will receive a new e-ticket confirmation once the transfer has been processed.
How to transfer an individual entry between events prior to 5pm Wednesday 23 October 2013:
- Please email email@example.com outlining your request to transfer to a different event.
- Include your credit card details (number, expiry, name on card) for the $25.00 transfer fee.
- You will receive a new e-ticket confirmation once the transfer has been processed.
How to complete any form of transfer AFTER 5pm Wednesday 23rd October 2013:
All transfer requests following 5pm Wednesday 23rd October will not be processed unless presented for processing at the Registration & Expo on 31 October/1 November/2 November. Transfers should be made at Race Headquarters, Registration & Expo, 161 Halsey Street, Auckland City on these dates.
You need to bring the e-ticket of the entrant with you, a completed hard copy of the entry form, along with your own personal photo identification e.g. drivers licence.
The adidas Auckland Marathon provides some assistance to eligible elite athletes who are interested in competing in the Marathon or Half Marathon distance each year.
For those elite athletes interested in competing please complete the Elite Athlete Assistance form and return to the Event Organisers asap.
As a general guideline, elite athletes need to be either current international representatives, achieved or have the potential to achieve the following times:
Marathon / Half Marathon
Due to traffic congestion on the North Shore from participants accessing the start line in Devonport, we strongly recommend that you consider utilising the chartered pre-race services of the Ferry or Bus to get to the Marathon and Half Marathon start (see Ferry/Bus Tickets below).
Should you choose to use your own vehicle to get to the start, please allow plenty of time, and remember there is minimal public parking for participants in Devonport.
Ferry Transport from Devonport to Auckland City for Quarter Marathon Start
North Shore residents can utilise the chartered pre-race ferry sailing from Devonport to Auckland City for the Quarter Marathon start. North Shore participants can buy a one-way ferry ticket when entering and catch the 6.00am (sharp) Sailing from Devonport to Auckland. Please refer to the Ferry Ticket information below.
Please note that the 6.00am Sailing is the ONLY sailing available from Devonport to Auckland for the Quarter Marathon start. Participants will receive a one-way wristband for this service. You cannot return to Devonport with this wristband ticket after the event; you will need to purchase a standard ticket from Fullers for this purpose.
Rail and Bus Transport to Downtown Auckland City
No public transport (bus or train) into downtown Auckland City exists before 7.00am on Sunday 3 November. Private car is the only option to get into Auckland City for the Quarter Marathon and 5km Challenge start if you live in Central, Eastern, Western or Southern parts of Auckland.
- Marathon and Half Marathon participants can purchase a $7.50 one-way ferry ticket from Auckland city/Birkenhead/Bayswater to ferry the start line in Devonport. Quarter Marathon participants can purchase a $7.50 one-way ferry ticket from Devonport to the start in Auckland City.
- Due to the pre-race ferry sailings being a chartered service and the need to ensure boarding is as efficient as possible, a different ticket system (wristband) is used for these sailings.
- Because of this and the pressure to process approx 7,000 people onto the ferries in a limited time NO OTHER FULLERS ISSUED TICKETS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR THESE SAILINGS. Please purchase your unique charter ticket (wristband) when entering the event.
- Ferry ticket wristbands MUST be purchased when completing your online entry/paper entry form.
- Tickets are limited to approx 7,000 passengers travelling from Auckland City across to Devonport and will be sold on a first come first served basis.
- Wristband tickets are only valid for the event day pre-race sailings. You cannot use your wristband to return to Devonport after the event. You will need to purchase a standard Fullers ticket for this purpose.
- Supporters tickets (there and back) are also available for purchase online or by paper entry as well (see below).
- Wristbands and supporter's tickets will only be available for purchase at the Registration & Expo if they have not sold out prior.
- Ferry and Bus tickets purchased are non-refundable so please choose carefully.
Important note: Please be aware that your unique charter ticket (wristband) cannot be used on standard Fullers Ferry services. It is only valid for the event day pre-race sailings to get participants and their support to Devonport. You cannot return to Devonport with this wristband ticket after the event, you will need to purchase a standard Fullers ticket from Fullers for this purpose.
Participants can purchase Supporters Tickets for $15.00 each when completing their online/paper entry form. The supporter receives a wrist band to take them on the pre-race sailing from Auckland City (or Birkenhead/Bayswater) to Devonport, and a standard ticket for each supporter to return back to Auckland City (not to Birkenhead/Bayswater) after the start.
The return ferry will leave at 7.00am (sharp) after the Marathon start back to Auckland City or on the first sailing of the standard Fullers service at 7.30am.
adidas Auckland Marathon Ferry Schedule 2013
Fullers has based this year's schedule around being able to move approx 7,000 participants to Devonport by 6:45am and has released the following schedule. Note: the vessel used and the actual departure time may vary from the following.
Additional Service (Proposed Schedule)
(Marathon participants must take this Birkenhead sailing to arrive in time)
Additional Service (Proposed Schedule)
(Marathon participants must take this Birkenhead sailing to arrive in time)
Note: You cannot book a particular ferry sailing time - you just need to turn up to the ferry sailing of your choice outlined above. Note that it is important to arrive as early as possible to 5:10am or before (Marathon participants please see important note below for your suggested sailings) if you are planning to travel by ferry. Ferries will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We strongly advise all Marathon participants to take the earliest ferries prior to 5.00am (or take the 5.10am Birkenhead sailing) to ensure you arrive for your start time of 6.10am. We strongly advise all Half Marathon participants to take sailings prior to 6am to ensure you arrive for your start time of 7.00am. It is your responsibility to arrive at the start with plenty of time to prepare for your event.
For those participants wishing to park near the start in Devonport, ferries will be available to take you back after the event from the ferry terminal. To utilize this post event Fullers service you will need to purchase a standard Fullers ferry ticket directly from Fullers.
Ritchies has established a bus service for the North Shore to the Marathon and Half Marathon start utilising the 'Park and Ride' facilities at Albany and Constellation Drive, and at a designated point in Takapuna.
Ticket costs and departure locations are detailed below. Tickets MUST be purchased when completing your online entry/paper entry form.
Albany to Devonport
Constellation to Devonport
Takapuna to Devonport
$10.00 one way
$9.00 one way
$8.00 one way
|*Takapuna Return trip returns to Akoranga & Smales Farm Stations. Transfer is then required to Takapuna Shops (no charge).|
Bus Departures (Proposed times only)
Constellation Park & Ride
You cannot book a particular bus departure time - you just need to turn up to one of the departure locations outlined below. Buses will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We strongly advise all Marathon participants take the earliest buses i.e. 5.00am Albany, 5.05am Constellation, 5.15am Takapuna, to ensure you arrive for your earlier start time of 6.10am. It is your responsibility to arrive at the start with plenty of time to prepare for your event.
From Victoria Park back to Bus Stations:
Bus departures back to Albany and Constellation Park & Ride Stations will depart with a 15 minute frequency on the Northern Express from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Buses departing Britomart 8.00, 8.15, 8.30 etc should take approximately 2-3 minutes to arrive at the bus stop outside Victoria Park Market on Victoria Street.
Finishers will be able to download their own online certificate after 9:00pm Sunday 3 November 2013 at no cost.
If you wish to receive a printed A4 card certificate by mail, an additional $7.00 fee is payable with your entry fee. The certificate will be posted within 3 weeks of the event in a standard envelope. Please note that any damage to the certificate caused by the postal service is not the responsibility of the Event Organisers.
NB: Please ensure you spell your address details correctly when entering otherwise you run the risk of not receiving your certificate.
NB: If you change your address at any stage before the event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can update your entry details and ensure your certificate is posted to the correct address after the event.
You can now purchase a text message service when you enter your event (International numbers can also be used with correct country code e.g. +61412677123). You can select up to six mobile phone numbers at $2.00 each incl GST that will receive a text message with your name, event, gun time & net time when you cross the finish line. You MUST purchase the text message service when completing your online/paper entry form. Please ensure you enter the phone numbers correctly.
The text message service is provided by an external third party provider who advises that despite continued efforts to provide a quality service, like many forms of technology (and providers of), for example emails and text messages, there is a very small possibility of failure, especially when they are delivered via the internet. Participants need to be aware of and understand this limitation when purchasing the text message service with their entry.
An eTicket confirmation will be automatically emailed to all entrants who successfully complete their online entry. Those who enter using a downloaded paper entry form will receive their eTicket by post.
Points to note when entering online:
- If you spell your email address incorrectly you will not receive your eTicket. Please ensure that you accurately enter your email address when registering online.
- The eTicket is an automated email. If you have spam/junk settings on your email account (common in workplaces) then the eTicket may be filtered into junk folders or you may not receive it at all.
- The organisers recommend using a personal email address for your entry rather than a workplace email address.
- If for any reason you do not receive your eTicket by email within 24 hours of entering online, please email email@example.com
If any of your entry details are incorrect on your eTicket you can change your personal details yourself online by clicking the top right 'My Account' link on your eTicket. If you wish the organizers to make changes please email firstname.lastname@example.org straight away to have these corrected. A new eTicket will be sent to you once the corrections have been made.
If any of your personal details change prior to the event you can change these details yourself online by clicking the top right 'My Account' link on your eTicket or please email email@example.com with the changes to be made.
Participants must bring their eTicket and photo ID with them to collect their Race Number and Race Pack from Race Headquarters, Registration & Expo, 161 Halsey Street (Viaduct Event Centre), Auckland City, between the following hours:
- Thursday 31 October 12:00pm to 7:00pm
- Friday 1 November 10:00am - 7:00pm
- Saturday 2 November 10:00am - 5:30pm
Race packs include your race number, IPICO timing chip (which is loaned to you), any ferry/bus tickets you have purchased, exclusive adidas Climalite race T-Shirt (except 5km Challenge & KIDS MARATHON) and gear bag.
For further information on Registration & Expo click here
Those who have completed either five (5) Auckland Marathons or five (5) Half Marathons (not a combination of both) will be inducted into the Hall of Fame as Roadsters. They will receive a permanent race number in perpetuity. Check the Roadster page for the current list of Roadsters.
If you think you qualify for Roadster status, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, race numbers and corresponding event years to receive your roadster number. Please note Roadster numbers are not allocated automatically and it is up to the participant to make contact when they believe they qualify for Roadster status.
Please note: you must have applied for your roadster number in writing (email, fax, letter) with the organisers no later than 5pm Wednesday 18th September 2013.
How to enter online when you have a Roadster number
- To ensure you receive your Roadster number when you enter online, you need to select the 'Roadster' option from within the Bib Category field in the online registration form.
- This tells the registration system not to allocate you a generic bib number. Instead, you will be sent an automated e-ticket with a reference number, not an official generic bib number.
- Your Roadster number will be manually added to your entry in due course and a new e-ticket containing your individual Roadster number will be emailed to you. To speed up this process for you, please email email@example.com to advise of your completed registration.
- Please ensure you bring this new e-ticket including your Roadster number to Registration (do not bring the original e-ticket with the reference number as this is not valid)
Note: It is each Roadster's responsibility to complete the online registration process correctly. If you fail to select the Roadster option when entering online, you will not receive your Roadster number unless you contact the organisers to advise of the error which can then be corrected for you.
If you are entering manually via a hard copy downloaded entry form, please ensure you mark clearly on the form that you are a Roadster otherwise you will not receive your Roadster number.
- The adidas Auckland Marathon is primarily a competitive running event.
- Walking is not an official "Event" category of the adidas Auckland Marathon carrying any competitive status and is not part of any other sub-event within the adidas Auckland Marathon such as a national or area championship so is not scrutinized. The adidas Auckland Marathon is not a competitive walk event and will not be scrutinized as a walk event. Walkers are numbered differently solely for start purposes only.
- The adidas Auckland Marathon entry form (online and download) requires participants to nominate their chosen event and whether they will run or walk in the Marathon or Half Marathon events.
- Walkers and runners are allocated different bib colours and numbering systems solely for starting purposes only. As a fundamental safety measure for both walkers and runners, participants entered as walkers start behind the runners to ensure as smooth a flow as possible through the starting line and the early stages of the event.
- There is no competition prize category or separate results for walkers and therefore walkers are not scrutinized in any of the adidas Auckland Marathon events.
- Walkers who choose to run at times during their chosen event on the day (and vice versa) are not penalised.
- No discussion or correspondence regarding any points outlined above will be entered into by the Event Organisers.
- For safety reasons a separate start assembly area has been established for walkers behind the runners. Each start assembly area will be accessible to only those with the correct coloured race number. Please utilise the separate walkers start area.
- For the safety and enjoyment of all participants - walkers are asked to keep the 'running' lane open as far as practicable to allow runners to pass unimpeded – do not walk in a group that spans the full 'running' lane. Ideally walkers should not walk more than 2 abreast in narrower areas of the course and always remain aware of any runners approaching from behind and allow them clear access through at all times.
Walkers time splits at key Support Stations
Half Marathon Walkers wishing to ensure they make the Bridge by cut-off time should have cleared the following support stations by the following times:
- Winscombe St Support Station (4km) - 07.35am
- Taharoto Rd Support Station (8.3km) - 08.13.am
- Smales Farm Bus Station (9.1km) – 08.20am
Marathon Walkers wishing to ensure they the make the finish line by course closure time should have cleared the following support stations by the following times:
- Mission Bay Support Station (33km) - 11.20am
- Okahu Bay Support Station (36km) - 11.50am
- Britomart Support Station (38km) - 12.09pm
other official merchandise
runners to get help and
support with your training